Monday, September 14, 2026

State Fair

Addie was at state fair on assignment as a state officer. I was suppose to go feed the officers for a day but as gas prices sky rocketed and the reality of 9 kids at home hit me, again, I realized that was not best for my family. So I reached out to another family and they took my days. I bought drinks for the officers and all was done. Until Greg called on a Thursday a d said let’s go to the fair tonight. So I packed our stuff made dinner for the kids and Bruce’s birthday cake and away we went after candles and singing for him. 
We drove the 6.5 hours in the dark arriving around 1 am in Salem. The next day after finding I forgot jeans for myself we made a quick trip to Walmart then headed to the fair. Addie had discovered we weren’t at home the evening before. I didn’t realize she is tracking me. That’s kind of nice and so like her.

We have no pictures with her. She wasn’t that thrilled we showed up. We met her teammates they seemed lovely and awesome. We viewed the exhibits and tasted the best ice cream Greg has had in years. 

The dairy barn never disappoints food wise. They added raspberries and blackberries on top oh it was perfect.
Sadly there were no beef exhibits other side of the state is deaf to our reality of cattle country. They are primarily dairy and smaller animals. 
Bruce’s quick birthday celebration. One decade of him in our family. Hardly seems possible for that much time to have past. He is a strong, above average young man in all ways. Academics, athletic ability, farm work, height strength, insights and observations. He’s a handful with abundant energy, thankfully the farm life requires a lot of work so its a perfect match. 


He was sure to remind me about the special cup that we use to always use. We are so thankful for his reliable help and way of living. 
At the fair I was entranced by the quilts. This is just a sample. We were suppose to vote for the best one. I couldn’t pick I liked so many for different reasons. Greg is more discerning and noticed the lack of precision immediately. His mother should be so pleased. She is a perfection sewer seams, points, and plaids match. She works diligently to make precise corners and lines. Thus proving it can be done and the results are awesome.


And finally my dad encouraged us to try a turkey leg. We were game as this was an adventure. The $24.00 per leg was too much for our curiosity. So we got a burger at carls junior and drove on. 

 We got pizza in burns for the family and got home repacked and loaded up the younger kids and headed for the family reunion. After 13 hours of two lane highways we were thrilled to relax on two to three lane freeways going fast and getting where we wanted to be. Those are great innovations. We enjoyed a nice time away and really enjoyed our few hours at the fair. Mostly thanks to the dairy treats and the quick break together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment