Tuesday, August 23, 2022

8.22.22 Fair

We have been running trying to keep up with the life we live. I took pictures along the way and finally with almost everyone back in school I can take a few minutes or hours and catalog the life we have been living. The kids are good sports and find ways to be cute and happy all the time. 

One of the best parts of fair is the teamwork. The small animal barn is a condensed group of exhibitors compared to the other species. Livy and John helped the other participants weigh in their animals. 

After weighing in all the chickens were washed. 



A fellow FFA member lined up club members and styled their hair. Addie's thick locks were styled into elaborate braids. 

Addie did well showing she was called back to the champion showmanship round. She spent a lot of time at the fair and did a fantastic job taking care of all the animals. 


Reed does a great job raising pigs. His care and attention routinely raises the largest pig of the bunch for himself. 


The kids got to hold some bunnies and came away with large scratches. They learned that though the bunnies are soft they are very serious with their sharp claws. 
Show day was a success. Livy did a great job getting all the chickens up to weight for the fair. 


Success John won overall market champion chickens. He was also champion showman and reserve overall champion showman. 


Mark made show day just in time as he was keeping the farm going. The other kids went early and got everything ready and he showed up dressed and stepped into the ring. As soon as he was finished he returned home to take care of the pivots and animals back on the farm. 
I was tired!!! Andrea was hot. We survived. I was so thankful to be able to come home and rest. 
We enjoyed the first sweet corn of the year. It is delicious. 

A great way to end the day a plate full of corn and a burger. We have fallen in love with instant pot baked potatoes with ranch. Dinner is delicious in the summer. 

My guys read whenever they are at the table they do a lot outside and relish the time to sit and relax. 
The sale John sold first of all the animals. 

Next up round robing small animal. Rabbits, chickens, guinea pig, dog, and pygmy goat. 


Andrea was asleep as soon as we got on the road. She is such a good sport about the all the activity that is her life. 
The command center the kitchen sink full of dishes. Keeping people alive is my job and a lot of that includes water to cook and clean. I'm always doing dishes.  I'm thankful for so much food to feed my family.
Bruce living his best life these are otter pop tops. He drinks the juice or enjoys it frozen. The perk of being #11, I guess. 
John showing his prize haul, two belt buckles, hat, plack, yeti tumbler. 

 Fair was intense I hurt my back and neck from carrying Andrea in the front pack after two days of that I could not any more. My body tells me when it has had enough. So we stayed home and moved cautiously. I cried from pain and frustration. I cried for not being able to be the mom to all my children but having to choose and trust all was ok. I'm finding tears are the outlet for the enormous strain of carrying the farming, mechanic, mothering, wife load that is my life. 

The fair sale was enormously generous. All did really well. The kids had a great time socializing and reaping rewards for their months of effort. We were again blessed to associate with great families. So although we were unsure of how to manage the week we were blessed to find a way and still experience awards. The younger kids got blue ribbons on all their exhibits, they were pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment