Monday, March 6, 2017

3.6.17 Grandpa's legacy

It's funny how long an influence is felt. Last night we had a great time laughing about funny trespassing warnings found in some magazines from my dead grandfather. He would have loved the signs my kids were laughing at. He would have loved breaking their innocence to red neck humor or ignorance to such witty thoughts. It was just a moment where his presence was strong in our home. 
Nobody plays the role he did in our family. I don't think roles can be filled by others. His was distinct yet in the past few weeks small items that would have been part of his character have been part of the kids growing-up and it's been good. The magazines for one.


My favorite saying-
No soliciting!
We are too poor to buy anything,
We know who we are voting for
We have found Jesus
and unless you're giving away beer (Aliza changed this to books)
Go Away

The kids loved Do you believe in the afterlife?
Cross the fence and find out

Or Can you run 3000 m/s ? If not your head better be bulletproof
I have a shotgun and a shovel any questions?
Quit trespassing we are getting tired of disposing of the bodies


In all our classic country music listening the Devil Went Down to Georgia has become a new favorite. Mark loves the last line from Johnny to the Devil. Hmmm.
And they loved True Grit again for the salty talk! I did not pick that movie for family viewing they got it while I was gone. So sheltered or not they are getting the essence of grandparents and will probably be none the worse for the wear.

A few days ago we were driving home and we spotted a sun dog! A what? you say. Yes it's a meteorological phenomena when the weather is changing. The sun will make a square rainbow on some of the clouds around it. It foretells changes in the weather usually rain. Livy spotted this one. But my other grandfather taught me and Greg about this years ago now we look out for them and teach the kiddos.


It was on the left of the sun in the square blue section the rainbow didn't show up in the photo.


This group although growing, did not know those grandparents for long or at all. However it's heartwarming to know that bits of wisdom, humor, and life perspective carries on through the generations. We are so much a composite of our past. I'm so thankful to have known so many of my grandparents their, parents, uncles and aunts, great and great great! And my favorite quote from facebook that I just joined to watch a parenting class. Stop wasting time on facebook and write in our journal! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment