Monday, October 10, 2022

10.10.22 Harvest Fest

This was the big weekend of the yearly fundraiser at my kids school. For 11 years we have been at that school. Hard to believe it's been so long but the original group has graduated and we just keep sending new kiddos. My job for many years has been to cut onions. I've found wearing contacts dramatically lessens my tears. So we sliced over 50 lbs of onions. They smell so good cooking and are a thankful nod to all the farmers who work so hard to feed the world. 

This year a lot of the workers were new. I took Afton and LIvy with me. Afton worked wrapping potatoes completing over 200 herself her young friend did another 200. I was impressed they stuck with it. Then Afton got to help with the decorations. Livy worked dutifully with a high school girl scooping, filling, and lidding 800 small containers with sour cream. Then she helped with cheese. She filled those containers for three hours straight. Livy really enjoyed working with the young lady. They were great workers.

The cook ladies improved on the traditional pudding pies adding a cool whip like substance creating a mousse like version of the old staple. The pies went fast and they ran out of pie more than once. 
At home I also worked on pie. Unfortunately this year the apples are not ripe yet. The calander and the seasons have not matched up this year. I made 3 apple pies and am not confident at all that they were good. For sure they were not the melt in the mouth pie I am use to but probably more tart and tangy. 
My chicken man Reed brought in a new egg when I cracked it for a recipe I found a triple yoke. This is high unusual sometimes he has doubles but the triple was pretty cool. He was out building fences for cows that come to eat the cornstalks so we took a picture to show him.
With my right hand assistant Aliza gone this year the younger girls are learning and moving up. Alivia made 4 pumpkin pies. They were perfect and delicious. The kids devoured one as quickly as they were allowed.

This year I had ripe pears so I made 2 berry, 2 cherry one with pears added, 3- apple, 4 pumpkin, and 2 pear. No one complained about any of them.
While we were busy making 13 pies this little one was happily exploring. She apparantly found a marker and colored herself a bit. She is mostly pleasant when left alone. She does enjoy making faces with John. He's a rare person to see at home but we love when he is.
I stayed home and drove truck and John took Livy and Millie and the pies to harvest fest. He arrived just as they had run out of the first batch so our pies got them through the last hour. I wish I would have sent more. My evening was quiet in the truck just hauling very nice corn to the feedlot. The long fall allowed the plants to slowly mature and put all their energy into a very nice ear of corn. I'm excited to see how this yields the kernels are large and full.  The moon was full and bright it was a pretty night even though I Felt terrible for not attending the festivities. 

Another day in the books of life. The younger girls are getting the idea of cooking they can follow a recipe independently after we determine tablespoon versus teaspoon. The harvest is moving along we are all surviving. We practiced the primary program on Sunday and though chaotic the message of testimony and faith in Christ is there. This is a heavy season but we are blessed and sustained in our efforts. Life is good. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment