Tuesday, May 24, 2016

5.25.16 building a kid and a boat

Almost every night from age 14 until I married (and later) my dad was found in our front room in his chair listening and talking to his kids. He came home around 9 or 10 and we were waiting to just soak up his wisdom, love and time. This gift helped me sort out and navigate the emotions, complexities and craziness of maturity. I sure didn't realize then how critical that time was, I just looked forward and found strength in knowing I could talk to my dad about anything any night.

School is winding down and we are quickly meeting deadlines. The last science project was to built a boat. Anna was supplied with a foam block, motor, and propeller. She began construction herself and got a general idea but was stuck on how to make the motor power the fan. I told her to involve her dad he's an engineer and mechanic it was right up his ally. So they valiantly dug in on Saturday night. Greg assessed we were lacking supplies so we made a family trip to Wal-Mart late Saturday to purchase a new block- he was not happy with her un-measured creation at home and wanted a smoke alarm to take connectors from.
 

After a normally busy Monday night of moving a lady and having a thistle cutting competition and getting the fence hot we headed home to work on the boat and get to bed and the normal night stuff. Greg brought his tool supplies and the fun began. I hesitated on involving myself. There are plenty of other people here needing direction and that project was out of my league. After 45 minutes of frustration I did consult google and found a simple answer  on how to make a plug. How did we ever do projects like this without google?


After more hours of engineering and bonding the boat was done. I have to note through this all Greg was frustrated and Anna was giddy. She had full attention from her dad. This was mostly just the two of them with occasional assistance from Harold who was also finishing final homework. Both kids loved the time with just dad.  The boat tipped on the first attempt. Greg found a solution and Anna completed it while Greg finally ate dinner at 11. Another trial run, and they added a rudder then adjusted the position and the boat was a Success! By 11:30!
Anna said her boat looked the best of any others turned in. She was excited to tell her dad helped her. He wasn't excited to have his name on the project- he likes things to be perfect. But watching him sodder the connections and add protective shielding I'm pretty sure that's more than any others did.
A friend reported she got a partner to do hers, later learning that partner is a new boyfriend.... I'm so glad that Greg was able to be the resource and to solve this problem with our daughter. I told him we better lock that boat up for next year when it's Harold's turn... Ugh!
Seriously though her happy smile and her reluctance for it to end made it a super dad night.

The workshop! Greg always says it's all about the tools. Hence the reason we have such a large collection. Again thankful he knows how to manipulate them into constructive solutions. 

And the other part of our evening. Racing dad to see who could cut the most thistles the in a 3 minute time period. The kids did this challenge Saturday with Grandpa.
I thought for sure Greg had them whipped he was cutting 2 and 3 at a time. Alas at the end-
Anna 100, Greg 95 Harold 83, Addie 16, Reed 2

The kids call this a thistle graveyard. I call this character building and lots of  opportunity for muscle building.
Mark's bragging rights thistle. Dug down to the roots and it was a big one. I wonder if Anna was going as deep?





No comments:

Post a Comment