Wednesday, August 12, 2020

8.12.20 Full circles and Canning Beans

I am blessed with a full house. For most of my married life, I have either been pregnant or taking care of a young baby. That means my hands are usually full and I spend a lot of time preparing food, feeding picky kids, then cleaning up their creative messes. I like canning because it shows accomplishment. I like feeling secure because we have what we need. I like the taste of home canned produce. 
However, I get tired of the mess. I get discouraged with the enormity of such a huge process that has to happen in a short amount of time. I get sore from the contortions and the physical exertion required to  k,yut rhgfvbn complete the process in those short windows of time. I feel strong when I am done but I feel anxious while I am working through it. 

15 years ago, I had only 3 children and was pregnant with my 4th. My oldest was 3. I was attempting to can what we needed. The first step to canning, thankfully for so many years my dad has taken care of the planting, watering and weeding of the plants, is picking. I was out in the patch with my young crew picking beans. I may have shed a tear or two wondering how I would ever get enough picked to make it worth my time to can. My visiting teachers were over 75. They were spunky tough women who had conquered much harder tasks than picking beans with toddlers. I had mentioned to one what I was going to be doing that day. Those spry older sisters showed up and picked beans with me for an hour. We visited and they shared my load and lightened it considerably. They said with smiles they had a great time picking. I did too. That act has stayed with me over the years of truly meeting someone's need when they really needed it. I've tried to do that too, but most often just come up short. 

This year has been a fight emotionally and physically to get through the beans. We did it though and after several reprimands and showing of just plain grit we were done and our shelves were full. Addie washed everything and put it away yesterday.

Last night a text came from my sister the Relief Society president. She informed me that a lady who has a three month old baby just had a terrible day- where one older son accidentally burned another brother and the beans had to go. I offered to can those beans knowing it would be easy for my crew. But then I stopped to think that maybe those beans were old and we should just pick her some new. So since our dinner was exceedingly late due to procrastination on the cooks part, we went to pick beans. And with each sharp exclamation of dislike and long pause of visiting instead of picking, we picked more beans!  We came home with a lot of beans, and when I saw the good condition of her beans realized we had worked enough to share. 

So we canned her 30 quarts of beans and then some more, and then some more for us. I began to loose steam physically so we also donated beans to the local food pantry. We are blessed to be able to share. Because -while we were sharing our time, a ward member was helping Greg with a very CHALLENGING diagnostic problem that has had Greg flummoxed for weeks. 

Finally between the two of them, and because of all Greg had already tried, repaired, and studied they found the solution to be pretty easy. But because of all the challenges of modern engineering my mechanic/engineer husband could not find the next step. This ward member and friend was fresh eyes and now after a few hours consultation the problem is found and the solution is close at hand.

So the circle of service and sharing talents or abilities continues. Not everyday am I found serving someone outside my home while we are likewise being served. As I age, I'm able to payback some of the generous gifts I was given when younger. Having a large crew means we can accomplish a lot, although to do so is a full frontal battle with only a one-woman opposing army called Mom. This is not trench warfare here, rather straight up British head-on-charge. The mom cannot fall or claim defeat they have to keep charging. No matter the snideness, laziness, reluctance, and or hiding/playing/sleeping encountered. 

This lesson of the green beans and pickup is the result of many prayers of frustration, desperation, and hope that were offered. The answer came through others being able and willing to serve. We are so sincerely blessed to have each other. The forced government policies of no contact are evil. People are made to be together, loving, and helping each other. Sometimes we need help and sometimes we give help. I am thankful for both, and thankful for beans which add comfort and peace to a home. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment