Wednesday, February 3, 2016

2.3.16 circle of life

We buried another grandparent yesterday. It was blessedly sunshiney and tolerable at the cemetery. This time of year you never know how terrible it will be outside. My brothers and brothers-in-law and two special friends were the pall bearers. The roses on the casket were in honor of my grandfathers ability to grow roses. He had an amazing rose garden.

The service was very nice. There were many beautiful songs and inspiring messages about how far he had come in his life. His was a great example of the power of the atonement and the ability to change.






After the funeral and burial we had a lovely lunch provided by the ward members. The M &M's set at each place were a hit with the kids. After filling up on candy and lunch they were ready to play! The cousins love getting together. While we are sparse on teenagers thus far we have a lot in the under 5 crowd.


The comment I kept hearing from the adults was well I guess we are next. We bury our parents, then I guess we are next in line!"- coming from 50 & 60 year olds. However, I guess in the actual line of events that may be the case, but it is hopefully in the far future. There is a lot of life to be lived and a lot of memories to be made. The next thing those same people would say is how thankful they were for their families and grandchildren. How comforting it is to see the family continue on. It is a marvel how far the generations stretch when you consider how far back the grandparent knew and how far these children will know.

My grandmother who died last year would teach the kids:
"When the bumble bee comes out of the barn he lights and goes buzz!" then she would gently poke their bellies and buzz. They babies love it. She learned that from her grandmother who was born before the civil war. My children will take that little memory and rhyme into their future and who knows how far that will be.

I'm thankful for the blessing it has been in my life to know the generations. I knew my great great grandparents. I remember them vaguely. My kids know these great grandparents and most will remember then pretty clearly. Many traditions were established by long family history. Long family history ties us together through the ages. I'm thankful for the children that continue our family and I'm thankful for the lessons I learned from those that have now passed on. Celebrations of life are a good time to take stock of where I'm headed and how I'm getting there. Best to you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment