Saturday, February 6, 2016

2.6.16 making lemoncurd

My great aunt is a professional chef with her own cooking school (can find on YouTube. Sizzleworks lemon curd!). She lived all over the world while her husband pursued a career in the navy. After his retirement she put all that knowledge and experience to work in the form of a school. I am privleged to get promotional emails from her school. One of those included a video which gave instruction for making lemoncurd. My little girls viewed it with me several times.
Over breakfast this morning my grandmother and I were discussing how much fun it would be to go to a cooking class. I also remembered I had been gifted some large lemons that I wasn't sure how to use. This this evening after reviewing the video and determining we had all the ingredients we made lemon curd.

 
 All set to zest with the microplane. Actually I did most of that the plane is very sharp.

 Whisking the egg yolk. I think our fresh eggs were medium and we should have used two. But oh what lovely lemon curd they make.
 Watching the video again to double check butter amounts. Livy asked several times if we could stop and smell the lemon? From the video! We did, fresh lemon is invigorating.
 Adding the butter. Reed was in charge of this part and watching it cook in microwave.
Juicing our warm lemon.
It worked well in the microwave. We make a lemon sponge cake with lemon curd added to sweet whip cream in between the layers. Yum!! We all agreed we like it more mellow with cream. But again our lemons were large and eggs smaller. All in all a fun culinary experience with my little crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment