Thursday, July 14, 2016

7.14.16 Surviving summer

I started the summer pretty concerned about the forecasted heat. Thankfully it has not been terrible except for a few days. I remembered from my childhood eating a lot of popsicles the summer my mom was pregnant with my sister born in August. It was  a good memory sitting in the shade of our house enjoying rare treats with my mom. So this summer not to be one to waste good memories we have eaten popsicles. Although some times we switch it up with Fat Boys.

This night my parents showed up with a bag full of different kinds. Afton knows what things are and was thinking she was going to get 4 that night. I limited her to two. The chocolate chocolate ones are my new favorite.


There is a show on the cooking channel called "Unwrapped." They show how candy and treats are made. One of the shows was about Pace Popsicles. It was fascinating as are all the episodes but we have tried many new treats as a result of this show. However Pace Popsicles were really expensive so we have been waiting. They are on sale this week so Livy and I bought 2 bags. They are delicious!!
If they are on sale in your neighborhood they are really good!!


We were trying the 4 different flavors- Tigers blood, banana, root beer, and blueberry. I loved the tigers blood (strawberry coconut). Only draw back for little people there is not splitting it in half but I guess you could always eat some then give it to them.


A good thing we got in some encouragement that day because it ended with a lot of learning. The kids got called out to dig out a pivot at 6. The girls begged off quickly to go to mutual, the boys minus Harold, were out there till 10 literally scrapping the silt and clay off the tires and digging mud and water from the soaked tracks in effort to get the pivot to move from the swampy area. We got a lot of rain on Sunday causing the dirt to flow to this low spot in the field. It was quite a task. Although, they came in covered in mud- literally- they were so happy reporting the work they had accomplished. I never cease to marvel at the happiness that comes from really hard projects.

The girls because they refused to go back and help when they returned from mutual got to do chores and of course found a cold fence. So they spent some thinking time in the dark fixing the fence. They were not so bubbly but they were fine and the fence was hot and hopefully no chasing cows today. Phew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment