Wednesday, July 27, 2016

7.27.16 What's Important?

We just got back from our annual vacation. This year was longer than usual because we had a special roommate reunion to attend. Being almost 8 months pregnant and camping for 2 days prior was not an ideal set-up but it all worked out thanks to my great kids and strong husband. 

The reunion in Wyoming was nice. It is good to feel the spirit of family and enjoy the unity of people trying to accomplish the same objectives of raising an eternal family. Even the camping part wasn't too bad all things considered. 
After the reunion we headed into Utah. We crashed at Greg's sisters house, which we were VERY thankful for! A real bed, a quiet room, and no children sleeping on or even close to us was heavenly. We cleaned up and prepared for a day in Utah. My oh my has that state grown since I was there last. And being the official birth of the state- Pioneer Day- commemorating the first Mormons arriving in the state it was CRAZY! We opted to watch a parade from home and visit. 
Afton managed to make it out the door and toddle over to the neighbors house where she knocked on their door crying. A county sheriff no less. We knew we needed to leave the state soon if we couldn't keep track of the baby. 

After Greg made contact calls to some family members who are near and dear to his heart, we quickly headed out to say hello. I had told him prior to leaving I wanted this to be a fun trip- one where we actually did somethings other people would call fun. Like visit some kid places. ...
This visit was special though. This is a well known lady whom we love and spent a lot of time with from our engagement on. She shared that her brother counted his growing up years in our town as his most special blessing in his life! She was one of the stalwart believers who kept praying for Greg to find a wife as he dated his way through his BYU experience. She has been most generous over the years approving of me as his final choice. 


Driving around the BYU campus the Sunday before we lamented not being able to sample BYU ice cream. Thus Monday we promised the kids a trip to the ice cream shop after the quick visit. The BYU creamery which was packed! We enjoyed many flavors of ice cream in leu of lunch.



After this we headed to Wal-Mart again to buy more shoes for the little girls who couldn't seem to keep track of theirs. Still no finders on the hot pink shoes they left home with.
We then headed toward SLC in vain hopes of a quick visit to the church history museum or at least the Christus.
En route we realized we would never make it so we meandered around and went early to my roommate reunion. It was hot and we were tired and sick of sitting in the cramped car.
Seeing these people my roommates, their husbands whom I had classes with, and other friends was worth the heat! 8 of these people were the main core of my college social group. There were others who couldn't make it but these ladies in the middle were major players in my college life. How thankful I am for each one of them and their families. It was again sweet to observe and feel of their vivaciou spirits and testimonies! It was awesome to see their mini-me's in their children. I wish I had a picture of the two Jon/John's they look so much alike. (My John and Jen's Jon.) It was precious evening spent with people whom I owe much of my life perspective to.

Displaying IMG_9123.jpg

As we drove away through the twilight of the Utah Valley I pondered the failure, yet again, of  not doing the standard "fun" things. We didn't make it to a single attraction. We made it to some different people's homes and had a lot of visiting. My kind roommate and host had provided a bouncy water slide which was a major hit, it was super fun for the kids.
As we drove through the night I wondered 'What is important?' Are we shorting our children of a good childhood by not ever going to common entertainment places? Will they be ok or resentful?
In all your arrangements for your children, try to make connecting with adults a higher priority than connecting with your children's safe-age peers or academics or after-school activities.  Prioritize your extended family and your close adult friends in the life of your child. If you have the opportunity to move close to your children's aunts, uncles and grandparents,do it. When you are planning a vacation, look for opportunities for your children to connect with her aunts,uncles and grandparents, You want to give your child a different perspective.  You want to connect her to your cultures.(From Memoriesoncloverlane blog, from book The collapse of PArenting by Leonard Sax.)
I realized that what was most important was what we did get done. The other stuff will still mostly be there in a few years and really wouldn't have made a difference to anyone any more than what we did. We always choose people over places or activities. I'm thankful for the many good people who share their time, love, and talents with our family. We are blessed by our associations.

We drove until we couldn't make it any further. Which ironically was our usual stopping place of Twin Falls. We have a lot of family there but being midnight and having made no arrangements- my phone was dead- and being all too familiar with kids woken up from sleeping in the car we opted for a hotel. It was a suite that fit us all and we had another good nights rest!


The kids enjoyed another hotel experience and the breakfast was top notch. After a nights rest and a better perspective on the whole trek we were completing I'm glad to say that the most important thing to us are the people in our lives.
We don't live in the grandeur of Utah and we have a lot less free time but we consciously chose this way of using our mortality. I told Greg as we drove  "The more I observed in Utah in college the more I wanted out. So I quickly finished college didn't date much and moved on." I'm thankful for the man I married and the life we have together. (I'm going to vinyl sticker that on my bedroom wall where I can see it all the time to remember when I'm frustrated with our life!)
I'm thankful for the shaping influence each of the special people we spent time with on Monday has had on my life. Great, smart, spiritual, strong, fun, and diverse women and men who have also made their lives in their own ways based on their talents and trials.

Vacations are so good at putting life back into perspective! And I for one am so glad to be back in my own home working another day on beans. Best to you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment