Wednesday, January 15, 2020

1.15.20 We Survived!

The first of our many independent farm experiences is coming to a close. Those are cows walking away from our farm land to get in cattle hauling trucks and go their next place of residence. It was a happy day. I feel myself breathing easier. I am thankful for the time they munched here, yet I am glad to be relieved of watching other people's valuable property.


This day I was an extra cow helper. I took this picture because I was so thankful to find one glove in my pocket. I'm learning not to leave the house without full winter work gear on if not leaving for town. Chances are I will be gone for hours not minutes. I'm extremely thankful for stamina and a bit of know how to keep up with the varied activities of the day.
 I drove the hay feed wagon to hopefully entice the cows to follow me. Most of the 175 cows were happy to walk along, some were in a hurry and raced past. Cows are very agile. Don't let their large bodies fool you they can go anywhere and jump pretty high, not to mention move a quite a quick clip if desired. I'm thankful I didn't witness those feats until the moving experience. As I got to the literal end of the road I found another similar larger tractor blocking my way, which was good so then the cows didn't head for the hills, but it left me wondering for about 10 seconds where to go? I figured it out yet almost dumped my load in the ditch, in a panic I thought  "Ahhh! I need help." I realized there was no help to be had, so again pulled myself together and thought through how to  carefully back up the wagon into the surging herd of cows and get out of the ditch. All was well. Phew!


After a time of watering with Reed I realized the younger TV watching crowd needed some fresh air and movement. After a great deal of duress pealing them away from the screen they joined me at the farm for some cleanup. Plastic bags posh, baling twine is the useless, although sometimes critical single use item in my life these days. The kids moved a significant part of this pile. They had cute comments like "we don't quit till the job is done. And we do things all the way." That's from their dad, mom wears out much faster. But I stuck to my guns and made them work for a while. They are stronger than the know and will be learning those lessons again and again in the coming year.


 In a much needed celebration we headed to the big city and saw the belated Christmas lights. I've been wanting to share a large scale light display with my family for years. Thankfully the city waited for me and we managed it. It was beautiful, not too cold, and we were blessed to have some extra hands with my parents generously coming along. The younger kids especially were very impressed. IT was nice to be off the farm for a while.


My sweet husband obliging me with an evening adventure not of his choosing. I'm so thankful to have him by my side. And thankful for all the big kids who could swap holding little ones.

We enjoyed a buffet dinner after the lights and all loved the variety of choices. I'm not the biggest fan of buffets but all you can eat dessert makes my kids eyes light up. Mostly it was nice not to have to make big decisions to sit and relax and to celebrate we did a hard thing together. There were mishaps, and complaining, and a lot of learning on my part but we did it!! My children took care of me from managing the younger ones at home and dinners, to toting hoses and pumps with me and driving me to and from on fourwheelers- it's warmer and less windy on the back, although Reed isn't much of a windscreen yet. I know there is more to come, but I am confident working together we will manage and be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment