Saturday, April 10, 2021

4.10.21 Long day

It's amazing how quickly life can change and how far you can go when you need to. Monday was one of the longest days of my life. We did school, I was studying for a big test, and John had his last football game. Anna and I enjoyed the game. 


We went home to get the kids out the door to do what they hadn't done during the day. They had some beautiful burns going in the dark. And some not so impressive ones like this one. 
Reed and Mark using the wind to clear the ditchbank. 

The last chore of the evening was feeding the cows. The boys found a calf out and Mark went after it on the four wheeler. He is quite the rider this evening he hit something that made the four wheeler skid into a parked piece of equipment. The equipment did not move and Mark's leg took all the energy of the experience and snapped both bones into two pieces. 

Thankfully the four-wheeler was upright and still running. He stepped off it to assess damages and his leg crumpled. he knew there was a big problem so he got back on put it into reverse and went to find Greg and Reed. He flagged them down and Greg sent them home. Reed drove him home on the four-wheeler. Mark was going into shock but Reed's warm body kept it at bay. I heard yelling outside and Reed ran down the stairs saying Mark is hurt we need Harold's help. Harold went out and with Greg they were able to get him in the house. Anna took first look and was pretty sickened by what she saw. That's never a good sign she's a great nurse and usually pretty level headed. I called my mother-in-law and told her we needed her now there was blood and bones and we needed her. I got water to clean the wound. We found gauze and scissors. Sue and Greg lifted his foot to rest on a bucket and heard a loud pop. Mark grimaced and went through the evaluation looking for the break while the blood continued to flow from his open wound. Sue cleaned it gently and added gauze and pressure. The blood would not stop. Greg calmed down, ate, and washed while she continued to apply pressure. I held onto Mark and his blankets and kept getting supplies. Finally, Greg gave him a blessing and I demanded we leave for the ER. Harold, Greg and Anna got Mark loaded in our little van. Anna rode along to continue applying pressure and gauze to the ever flowing wound. I decided to go the Fruitland ER. When we got there they helped us into a wheelchair and I rolled him inside.


I asked for stitches and told them we would deal with the break tomorrow. The doctor firmly stated we would not be just going home but to Boise for immediate surgery that this kind of break could be life threatening. They started an IV antibiotic and gave him morphine. They took x-rays, cut off his pants ,and put him in hospital paper pants. We waited on surgeon consults and were told we were gong to Boise. I signed a release so I could drive him. Harold had brought the pickup and took Anna and Greg home. I was the only one allowed into the ER or hospital with Mark. I drove him to Boise around 2:15a.m. the accident had happened around 11:10 p.m. We left home about midnight. In Boise we were re-evaluated and admitted to the pediatric unit. The crying baby that I heard as we neared Mark's room was a sad sound, I wanted to go hold and rock that baby. We waited until morning. I would much rather have a rested surgeon than a tired one doing a surgery. 
I slept for about an hour and half then we were moved down to the pre-op area. I was instructed I had to stay so I sat in this empty waiting room waiting and watching the screen updating me on his progress. Each patient had a number and their progress was updated on the screen as the surgery progressed. In the meantime I was able to secure the very last left overs from breakfast at the cafeteria. I'm thankful I go there in time. The food was heavenly strength to my very tired body. Around 1:30 p.m I got to see Mark and we were back in his room about 2:30 p.m. 


After that because I had encouraged all his clothes be cut off to save him from movement I went to buy him new clothes to come home in and me some more comfortable pants. I was so groggy but managed to get it done. That night I stayed with Greg's aunt and uncle. They are always my safe place when dealing with medical emergencies. This is number three- NICU with baby Harold and baby Addie, now Mark broken leg. They were gracious and normal. That is so peaceful when the world is not. After a good night rest I returned to wait on Mark's IV antibiotic treatments. We made it home Wednesday night and it has been good. 

Some kind friends have brought us dinner two nights in a row. We have been able to borrow medical equipment we needed and Mark is getting along fine. The younger four keep him company. Reed gives updates on farm life and we move on. 
The younger four like to do chariot races when I'm not looking. Bruce improvises with a stroller to race Afton and Merle. 

So there's plenty of entertainment and company for him. They sometimes switch up the walker for the crutches and pretend shoot each other. Afton is pretty attentive. My phone keeps us on schedule for what painkiller to give when. I'm thankful for this learning opportunity for Mark. I just hope he does. Reed, Anna, Addie, Livy and I are the farm helpers. We all adjust and do what has to be done. I'm thankful for second, and third, and fourth chances to learn. I'm thankful we truly are blessed with safety and for the many men and women who are skilled at healing. Many have helped me tremendously my sister bringing stuff I desperately needed at the hospital, Aunt Shauna just being available, so many family praying for us and texting to pass the time and sharing the worry. Parents who brought food, gave time corralling the herd. We are truly blessed and life is good. I'm thankful for increased strength to do what has to be done. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment