Thursday, December 10, 2015

12.10.15 Growing Beets

 I had a rare opportunity to steal away by myself and attend a lunch meeting. It was relaxing and reflective because the purpose of the lunch was to cheer my dad on as he received an award for growing beets for 40+ years.

Sugar beet harvest has long been my favorite quite possibly because it was the last. It was also a time when kids could and do come and ride and enjoy festive lunch time visits. Beets have been a staple commodity for my parents farming operation. During their early married years my dad was part of the beet board that was the go-between the farmers and the sugar company. This work and service allowed and required him to go to annual sugar meetings all over the country. My parents would go for 3-7 days to many different locations across the country. Sounds dreamy to me now! We loved the time with grandparents and the pictures and treasures they brought back for us. A few of my fondest memories of childhood are from the times they were gone. Watching the Mary Fannigan murder mystery with my grandparents... my parents probably wouldn't have let me watch that but I still remember that show. Getting chewing gum, and things like large oreos in my lunch, my grandfather driving us to and from school and how happy I was to see him after middle school waiting for me. Pancakes for breakfast everyday!


My dad related in his acceptance speech that it's actually been 75 continuous years that our family of now 5 generations have been delivering beets to the local factory! That's a lot of beets, work, and history.
I'm thankful for these devoted, long suffering, always improving, energetic parents of mine. They are a great example of love and devotion to each other and the things they devote their time to. Thanks mom and dad for a walk down memory lane and a lifetime of great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment