Monday, November 4, 2019

11.4.19 Harvest

A dream come true happened this fall, I got to drive beet truck! It was so fun and safe! All decked out below. I'm not sure how one would get hit on the head with a sugar beet in the cab of the truck, or when they are dumping out of the back of the truck and you are in the cab, but I was following the rules nonetheless!

How beets are emptied from the truck nowdays. the endgate lifts the belt flows them onto another belt that conveys them to the large pile.


I grew up riding in the beet truck. I love beet harvest this has always been a goal of mine to take a load of beets to the dump. My brother was in need of another truck driver so I volunteered for a few hours. Happily, I had no problems and successfully deliver 4 or 5 loads.
Beets weren't the only crop ready for harvest. We also had a lot apples to can.

Everyone helps when we decide to make a canning mess.



Things were going so smoothly until seconds later when a jar of hot sauce was dropped on the floor and the mess got bigger. These big kids are sure good help when they choose to be. We switched positions multiple times to keep everyone fresh and we got about 100 quarts done in about 7 hours. And got the entire kitchen and most of our dishes dirty but it cleaned up as it always does and we were done with canning for 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment