Monday, July 13, 2015

7.13.15 Flowers

We were blessed with many flowers from the funeral. I rarely send flowers as they just die. However recently (in the last 16 mos) I have come to appreciate the beauty and cheer that flower add to a room. So when we were cleaning up from the funeral dinner and trying to decide what to do with the abundance of blooms my mom requested we share them with others. We brought home 3 large funeral bouquets...


and divided them into less funeral like arrangements and had a great week of sharing flowers with friends, neighbors and in general special people in our life.


I think being a florist must be the best job in the world! People are so surprised, touched and happy that you would think of them and share something so beautiful.

We took around about 25 bouquets from 6 big arrangements. It was fun and much better than moping. And much less hot than sharing cookies or bread- which is our usual excuse for visiting.

My grandmother could have grown all of these, I do not. I aspire to be a gardener when my children are more grown up (read gone) but for now I am growing people. However, just as my grandmother loved people and spent much of her time making beautiful pieces of art. I think she would have been happy to know so many other people were made happy.


And sometimes flowers turn into cupcakes. One of the silver linings of sharing is when someone shares back. A fun friend brought mini-cupcakes that stopped our pretend naptime. You can see we were all so sad to miss some sleep. Oh no we were eating on carpet. Oops.

So much love is shared at a passing it is overwhelming and we are so grateful for the many acts of kindness and prayers of comfort. It is sincerely felt and appreciated. Service is the balm for the wounded heart. All different kinds and to different people at different times, loving one another is one of the choice blessings of mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment