Thursday, July 25, 2024

7.25.24Our best works

We are starting to have an abundant zucchini supply. I remembered seeing a mock apple pie recipe. I asked Sue if she would try this with Afton. This is the result. The vote is delicious! Many more pies to come I think. 

More fair prep pictures. These were taken by Millie. The sweet sisters learn about animals too. 

Bruce admonished Addie that she needed to love her pig more. He said, "I loved my pig and they grew big and fat if you just spend more time with your pig it will grow better too!" She committed to try to love it more. They are now walking the pigs more often working on weight management. 
I was coming home from checking water and pulling weeds in the garden and Andrea asked for a picture. Addie shot these. Would I delete them? Yes, but Andrea is a balm to my soul and she does love her mom. 



Lia also wanted a picture with me. We were out working on a better picture of Addie and she asked for a picture with me. These ladies will be all grown up soon too. 

Bruce is encouraged to go work with the big kids as often as they will take him. He specifically loves to go with Addie. She demands a lot from him and he delivers. 
This is honestly how a lot of hours are spent in the summer watching movies and relaxing. Hours of reading intermixed. We are thankful for our cool basement. 
Our favorite cow named big white had twin calves. She was confused why two were trying to suck on her. I was concerned that one calf had not gotten a drink and with the hot temps knew it would not live without some nourishment. Reed made a colostrum bottle with some electrolytes thrown in. He and Addie fed it its first meal by the flashlight. Thankfully 3-4 days later both calves have attached to the mom and she has accepted them both. Phew, no bottle babies for now. Calves on a mother do so much better than calves on a bottle. No sickness, stronger faster growth it's just better. 
Addie had the opportunity to feed our neighbors. She happened to take Alia and Merle with her one evening. Sister Page ended up reading stories to them. She had been a librarian and loves books almost as much as she loves children. It was a delight to her. 
We harvested beets today! I love this time of year when I am done weeding and I can bring some fresh vegetables home. 

 While all this food and activity is good, the smiley faces and time together is the best. These are the most important things we grow is kids. We are so blessed. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment