Monday, November 23, 2015

11.21.15 Favorite Read Aloud Books

These are my two favorite read aloud books. Recently republished for general sale found on Amazon. We have completely worn out the original books. The missing and torn pages interupted favorite stories, and I was really sad that my younger set of chidlren would miss out on the good memories my older 6 have from time in these books.

This first book is a compilation of classic, aesop and beloved childhood tales. No Disney version here! From the Three Bears to the Velveteen Rabbit, to my personal favorite the little red hen this is a great book. The pictures are warm and charming, there are a lot of words to each story and they are not too simple. The stories aren't overwhelmingly long and the kids love them!


I love this Little Red Hen because her chicks help her with each stage. It is so cute. I have never seen this spin on any other version of this tale but it makes so much sense!!



A not classic story that has cute illustrations is the Birthday Cake Mix-Up. Love it. My older kids request stories they want me to read aloud to the youngers and they too crowd around remembering the warm story lines. Reading aloud is one of two really good parenting things I do with my kids. The rest are debateable and probably up for repentance review, but reading aloud, holding them close has made me relish motherhood.


The second book happened at my house in a lovely yard sale collection of books. I have read through this book hundreds of times with my insistent Livy who wants to hear all 30 nursery rhymes that I deem appropriate. I don't like the two cats from Kilkeny, or I do not like thee Dr. Fell... some are just not instructive. But this picture of Peter Piper and the rhyme is her favorite.


I often fall in the Elsie Marley line with all the children stewing about waiting for the feast!!!


Stories are great and priceless and so important to slow down, sit down, share some lap space and love those kiddos in my life. So we wore out copies number one and other versions with the same content and we are one to new versions. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment