Sunday, September 4, 2022

9.4.22 Writing

 This week I wrote with my daughter. Aliza is going to nationals again. Her speech was good, her presentation is stunning. People are spell bound by her voice, her big words and big thoughts. She is tall and confident. Yet there was something missing, the speech wasn't complete. When we went to nationals for oratorical a judge counseled us to say what you want, make your point, don't hold back. So after letting the speech sit for the summer she drug it out and we began working on making a point. 

The joy of parenting right now is older kids who are so pleasurable to be around. I love talking with them, I love watching them be who they are and becoming. Because we share similar world view and perspectives and I'm not worried they won't like me or get offended talking with them is easy. We share articles back and forth and discuss world events often.

Thus when she sat down to write or started rehearsing what she had wrote finally we found the path of what she was trying to say. Finally we hashed out words for her research. It was so fun to just swirl around in words and sentences with her. It was glorious to keep up with her brain. 

Years ago when I was doing graduate work my professor coached me through similar processes with him when we would write papers for publication and conferences. I didn't know as much then, I wasn't as comfortable but I learned. When he asked at the end of our 18 months together if he had wasted his time training me if I was truly just going to retire to motherhood. I had no answers I secretly have wondered the same thing year after year of mothering and teaching my children. 

So when I write with my children specifically my daughters because they ask for help, it is using those skills acquired long ago. Sometimes John joins in he is really good at crafting ideas too, but he is rarely here when it is happening. After an intense 7 weeks of writing with Addie, I was brushed up. In the meantime between spring and now my memory has struggled don't know if it's hormonal, stress, thyroid, or post COVID. But words have become hard. Instructing my children to do a task can be impossible. Naming basic objects alludes me, it's frustrating beyond description because I know words, I know how to talk. 

Monday we wrote and edited. We found points and made the argument. We rushed to see a friend who gave us his reaction and suggestions. We drove to my sister she likewise shared reaction and suggestions. We came home mushy and tired. It takes a lot of concentration to go word by word through a 4 page paper. I endured the football parent meeting, made dinner, and did FHE then put kids to bed. 

The next morning dawned beautiful. This was one day until speech submission day. I woke her up and we dug in while I folded laundry. She had worked through the previous suggestions. She went to share with my parents also sharing the speech with my youngest sister who likes to write. I love that my sisters share a common theme of words. 

Aliza got more suggestions she made the changes and brought home another version. After a few more run throughs it was ready. I told her what my professor had told me "You just have to birth it. You could change it forever. You just have to let go." So she went and submitted a much more perfect speech. 

I loved the stretch and the collaboration. I'm so thankful for all the willing suggestions and critiques. I love the shared bond of writing and speaking. I love that my sisters learn. My parents are always intent on becoming better, more knowledgeable. Likewise Greg's parents are always listening to talk radio, reading trade magazines, and a variety of books. Grandma is a favorite librarian giving us any number of stories she liked. I loved when she would bring me books from the library when it was time to nurse a baby again and again. Our close family is wise. 

When I told a friend today I love writing with Aliza they were perplexed. They questioned- you were writing? with Aliza. Yes, I said I love to talk and craft words with her. I loved it with Addie too. 

I'm thankful for the history of learning that runs deep on both sides. From my grandma corn and her Seburn relatives to my parents and siblings to my children. We love to learn, and as we studied the book of proverbs this week much was said about wisdom and its value. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment