Saturday, September 9, 2023

9.9.23 Harvesting

Addie's first race of the season was in Vale. Greg even managed to make it before she finished. This is a hot race that ends after awards in the swimming pool. I think all races should end in the water. She won. She was disappointed to be 20 seconds or maybe it was 10 seconds slower than last year. I told her she just has to be fastest for that day. 
Some spectators were more interested in their books. Eloise is in the back and Afton sat on the front immersed in their books. 
We all went to the temple. Cousin James joined us. This was the longest session I had ever been in thus the kids had plenty of time to take pictures. 

We salvaged corn from the wind damaged sweet corn field. Thankfully this was the only corn damaged not more than 30 feet away is the field corn still standing tall and strong. Miracles like this happen and are easy to recognize in agriculture. 

I'm so pleased by this picture. I hoped for just a few tomatoes this May and June. We added Zamzows products hoping to help our soil and plants and I'm happy to show it was worth the extra time. We have a bumper crop of tomatoes. 6 batches of spaghetti sauce and 1 batch of salsa on the shelf so far. 

Some of our peppers. Maybe next year I will spring for the pepper popper additive too. We don't relish in peppers like we do tomatoes, this is enough for what we need. 
Huge onions are the norm for the family farm. We are thankful recipients of their work. 

We have learned that not everyone makes zucchini this way. This is the most common way we eat zucchini although I don't mind it without cheese. Especially after trying to scrub the cheese off the pan. 
Andrea really enjoys feasting on the fresh produce. Tomatoes are her first favorite. Then corn.


Andrea loves to look at books. 
Sharing fresh bread with her dad. Her nose got swiped by the swing and just scraped the tip. It took about a week to heal, thankfully she was good as new by picture day. 
Fresh new crop shepadee hashbrowns. Nothing is better than that. I tell the kids we lived on shepadees our first years of marriage. Fried they are superb. 
On Sundays we sing for a while. John getting a cell phone and being able to access the words to the songs has changed this habit for the better. He really sings out, I love this time together. 
My vigorous tomato plants. They have grown to the top and back down the 5 foot cages making them approximately 10 feet tall. 
Lots of tomatoes as big as my hand. 


Salsa. The kids love chips and salsa after school. 
Kids waiting for me as I cleaned the bubblers which were full of moss. We do more stuff when the school kids are gone. 
Showing the soil coagulation or making structure how it sticks to the roots. I'm pleased that our soil management is showing the results the experts say makes for better water penetration and beneficial life processes like worms. 
The control side of the wire worm test. I pulled a wire worm out of another potato. Those things are vicious pests and we have quite a colony of them. They bore into the potatoes leaving undesirable tunnels filled with dirt. We are thankful for the potatoes even with the damage. 

 I'm just so thrilled we have produce. As a novice gardener who is highly skeptical of the quality of our soil I'm over the moon happy that we have food to eat that we grew. We were blessed and have an abundance this year. I'm thankful for the mental health breaks gardening has given and for the time working with my children. I'm thankful for full shelves and the delicious smells that come as we prepare food. We are thankful for lessons learned and failures that teach us. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment