Wednesday, May 17, 2017

5.17.17 Big and Little Bruce


I knew from the moment Bruce was made known to me that his name would be Bruce. It was just a soft whisper in my mind but I knew he would be a Bruce. Well now he is a pretty permanent person in our home and we love our little Bruce.
He is named obviously after my dad, Bruce. Who was named after a dear family friend of his parents Bruce. I have met that Bruce and loved his kindness his sense of humor and the great love he had for his wife and my grandparents.
Yet even with all this goodness of the people named Bruce it has been a little odd to have a child named after my parent. At Christmas when we were gathering presents and there were some for baby Bruce I wasn't taking them because anything with that name was my dad's, of course. Thank goodness my sister in law reminded me the child in my arms had the same name and would probably wear the onesie easier than big Bruce. I'm sure there will be many more mix-ups over the years but we will persevere.
In the meantime I will work to love, protect, and teach my little Bruce to grow into a good, honest kind, adm wise man like my father. My father does not like attention so I had been reluctant to snap a picture not wanting to embarrass him. Yet I am eternally grateful for him and my mom and their many choices that gave me such a happy, safe, home where I could grow and become what I needed to to have the adult life I have chosen. That is no small task or gift. To nurture, correct, teach, and endure your children.
This mother's day and all the hoopla and tender mementos are always odd to process. I'm very aware of my shortcomings and what we seem to lack. I hope for better and share memories that are often seemingly once in a lifetime events. Yet I have to remember that each occurrence is not the thing of a lifetime but part of painting. Elder Bednar called them the brush strokes of mortality. It takes many many layers or brushstrokes to make a picture likewise with raising a child and becoming a good parent.
I love my dad, I'm thankful for his good name to share with my son. A good name is a gift. Many of my kids are named after special family members that was not on a whim but rather with hope they will gain strength and direction from those who have gone before.

No comments:

Post a Comment