Thursday, July 18, 2019

7.18.19 tonsils

This spring after a full year and a half in speech therapy the therapist recommended Reed have his tonsils removed as he just wasn't able to physically make certain important sounds like g, and d. I was surprised but agreed to check into it. I called around a found a price we could handle and decided to add Mark to the list as he has always since birth struggled with breathing issues no asthma but general breathing and a persistent cough. The doctor said on a scale of 4 Reed was a 2 and and a 3, and Mark was a 4 and a 3. 4 being fully covered, Mark had about the size of a Wendy's straw passageway. Reeds was more the size of his finger. So I backed off not wanting to push something that may or may not work. The therapist checked with me a few weeks later and again encouraged surgery. After the well placed prodding just ahead of another round of strep for Mark we made the appointment all the way in July. That seemed like a long time. The week finally got here and I was nervous.

I called other moms who had been through this and got their advice and tips. I stocked up on juice, tylenol, and bought ice cube trays. I thought maybe we were ready. 

Yet, I have vivid memories of my own sister crying for what seemed like days when she had her tonsils out. I lay awake the entire night before fretting and worrying and praying that all would be well. The entire night well the 4 hours after making lunches, getting Lia to sleep for real, I just fretted I almost backed out what kind of mom takes their kid to get hurt??? But alas the time finally came to wake them and I decided I would be in no condition to drive home so included Anna in the experience. The kids slept and I drove cautiously through small towns to get to the appointment. We were there before the elevators were unlocked. We were the first ones to show up, and thus had a leisurely time of waiting. The facility was welcoming and low key. The boys weighed and changed and settled in to wait. 

They were fans of the heated blankets. Me too love that feature of hospital care. This was actually a surgery center Which was minimal cost compared to hospital!! Blessing!

Reed was the first to go. I was amazed at how quick they got them up and in a chair as soon as their eyes were open and they were sipping water feet were over the bed and they were moved to a rolling recliner into recovery two. Their they ate a bit and took the first pain meds, then drink drink drink.


Mark was silly waking up. Reed has had a bit more of a struggle than Mark. Their tonsils were comparable in size but Marks were much thicker, though Reed bled quite a bit more. The doctor reported they were infected and great places for infection to hide out. I really think they will be healthier overall when they are totally well.
They got on their feet literally within the hour and were treated to a wheel chair ride to the car.


We got frosty's on the way home.  Which was a great way to end clinic and begin home nursing.

I was so thankful for Anna being a second set of hands and nurturing. We had to hunt for a pharmacy that had the prescribed meds. Big hurrah for Bi-Mart though they were super helpful and found us a discount which cut the price in half, glad I didn't decide not to get the meds as Reed especially is needing them.
While I was gone Aliza held down the fort here. This lady decided to break her two top teeth through, thus she was a cry baby all morning long refusing to be happy unless held, sounds like her strategy for the night before.

One of the best parts of this whole experience was the blessings Greg shared with all the kids who asked before hand. The littles love to get blessings, and take it very seriously. Alize irreverently took these pictures.


The sweet spirit that fills our home when this is going on is priceless. When I taught my primary class Sunday we spoke about blessings and the priesthood and what it cost. I asked the kids if they got blessings and one little girl said no not this year. I was sad for her they can be more than yearly. I told her her dad would probably be happy to give her one, that it's a special way for dads to show and feel love for their children. She said she would think about it. I shared the experience with her dad, he said yes he'd give her the world but sometimes it was hard to be patient with her. Yes that's the truth.
Nonetheless, Greg shared that spirit of calm and faith with his kids that night and yet again I was so thankful he's the dad here. It's not always pretty and never perfect but there are moments of sheer joy watching my husband and children's faith in action soothed my very nervous heart. Now if I just would have got a blessing too maybe I would have slept.

So one day out boys are doing ok. I'm thankful I watched my grandfather deal with stomach issues for years as it's giving me ideas for Reed who is nauseated. Poor kid. They are drinking well and not hurting bad enough to cry. PHEW! We are taking a personal day complete with movies and rest. I am cooking and trying to get fluid and soft food into them to ward off stomach and dehydration troubles. My big kids are gone so it's me and the littles who are loving free access to popsicles. Another adventure in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment