Monday, July 12, 2021

7.12.21 Family Reunion

This past weekend Greg decided to attend the annual family reunion. I was very leery of leaving especially since a gear box broke down at 1pm before we were to leave. The kids worked together and got the repair accomplished. The younger girls worked with me matching socks to prepare for packing. It's hard to manage packing for 14 especially when we don't practice very often. We started stuffing clothes trying to get essential socks and underwear. The car finally came home from getting fixed and the kids began packing. I decided to take two vans so we could haul all the camp stuff, 
The kids were so excited. There was just more and more and more that had to be addressed. Finally after 10 pm cars pulled out the driveway. We listened to the end of Casey McAllister book. He is exciting to listen to and kept most of us awake. 
We arrived in Twin Falls around 1:05 a.m. Most of us were ready to sleep unfortunately Merle was not in that boat. He cried for about 45 minutes. So around 2 a.m. we were able to sleep. At 5:00 a.m. Harold's alarm went off. He had planned to nap then head off to the family reunion. I knew this was his plan but was not happy to be the one turning off the alarm and then waiting for the boys to get up. Of course we should have talked about travel schedule, but in the mix of settling everyone, being so tired, and scared toddlers it didn't happen. At 6:15 Harold had his brothers up and into the car. They called as they pulled out of the driveway. I groaned and told Greg I missed the days when the kids actually slept en masse. We roused the rest of the kids and were on the road by 7 a.m. We arrived in Idaho Falls around 9:30 to a delicious pancake breakfast. Addie took my phone and went to work. These are in reverse order last to first. 


We had approval to have family church as one of the cousins is in the stake presidency in that area. 

The cute deacons and teachers who passed sacrament. There were over 150 people at the meeting. 
Cousin Jon who taught a quick Sunday school lesson. 
Attempting to keep Lia quiet during the meeting. 
Trenton, Bruce, and Zane! 
Millie helping with breakfast.
Sunday breakfast is always cold cereal or granola.

Ultimate frisbee

The water slide kept all the kids busy for Saturday. 
Millie and Brooklyn

It was so good to see Anna, it was really hard to come home without her.
There were two wading pools for the younger crowd who weren't as into the water slide. 


Volleyball is always a highlight my kids look forward to their annual game. This is the one time a year they play and love it!
Lots of visiting. 
John trying out a cousins whip. 

Cousin Millie whom we named our Millie after. 
Riding atv's is one highlight of the visit. 

Traditional wagon rides. 

The line for the waterslide. 
Top of the slide. 
Bruce and Zane


Obviously food was plentiful and delicious. The organizers and kitchen people were always busy they may have sat down for an hour between lunch and dinner. It takes a lot of preparation and work to feed a crowd over 200. 
Addie with our cousin Steve. 


Always lots of good stuff to drink. Juice, homemade rootbeer, mint lemonade. Cold water. 


I treasure conversations and instruction from the wise cousins. My kids are friends with their kids nad I love learning from them. I'm thankful we all make the trek wherever the gathering place is. 











Greg talking with brother in-laws Richard and Ben. 
I'm thankful to see him independently upright. He limps but is able to keep up. The family was impressed with his story and scars. I'm glad he is getting back to normal- well mostly the teasing is not a welcome return. I'm also thankful we have Harold ahead of him because Mark's pre-accident pants are WAY too small he jumped right into Harold's. I'm thankful for my strong, healthy, kids.




 I never want to go but I'm thankful we do. It's not a vacation for the mom but it's edifying to learn I'm not alone, to see others who are farther on the path encouraging endurance, laughter, forgiveness, and insights. I'm glad for a change. I'm thankful for a washing machine and lots of heat to wash the mountain of laundry we always seem to make. Life is good lots of great memories in the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment