Sunday, June 2, 2019

5.30.19 end of school

This was a huge growing year! I had my doubts and many reservations about what would happen with all of my kids educationally. I always do. August I'm nervous as all get out and MAy I am wiped out. This year was no different with some bigger worries than usual, but by May after a lot of work and a lot of time passing we have some very measurable gains. The kids got a lot of awards I cannot name them all. 

This lady will forever be remembered as an angel of mercy and motivation. She is a master teacher and is sadly retiring. A good chapter is closed for her and us, but she will sorely be missed. She was the needed fertilizer that caused Reed to become proficient in all areas this year. She gave him challenges and believed in his ability and he took off! He is the student I have always believed he is capable.

Swimming in the cool air. Thank goodness for a heated pool. Note the lifeguard in sweatshirt and towel. It was cool until almost June here.

Livy again got the best penmanship and perfect attendance award.

Mark and Addie reading awards.

I'm so glad that the school year is complete. It takes a lot to keep the show going, the hours I spend worrying, working, and planning for when the kids get home are long. Yet we do school away from home because they need to learn independence, there are a lot of nice and nurturing people out there that will positively teach them in ways I can't. There are people that are more difficult and they also offer lessons that are important to learn. School encompasses so much more than just education it is our sociality, our work ethic and grit, our confidence and finding new horizons. I thought Mrs. Robertson was a fine teacher when I had her but having her teach my children was a blessing beyond words. I'm finding I so much more fully appreciate many experiences as I know the work and effort that goes into them as an adult.
Yet, this year wasn't just about that teacher, there is a group of dedicated PATIENT aids at the school who worked so creatively and lovingly with Alivia this year too. She doesn't have a lot of desire yet but she progressed tremendously because of their careful instruction. Sometimes they were sweet and sometimes just as stubborn as her but they kept coming up with new ways and new skills and never backed down from moving forward with her. I am working with her at home and she is very able. I'm working on her confidence and mostly just staying consistent so far so good!
Life is good we are learning and becoming and thankful for all the help we get on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment